pk
Level 15
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@dsyhome0510 , major mistake on my part on the taxability of  CPF and  foreign Mutual Funds.   The comments on FBAR  ( FinCen 114 ) and FATCA ( IRS 8938 ) are still valid.   Admitting my error ( only explanation is that I was lulled  by the FBAR / FATCA question )and  , while logical, forgot that because Singapore does not have a tax treaty  or Totalization agreement with USA , 

1. Life Insurance   entity would be classed as  Passive  Foreign Investment Company ( PFIC )

2. Singapore CPF , while   compulsory / having some of the features of SSA in US and 401(K) in otherways, would still be classed  as more akin to PFIC.

Thus in both these cases  the Mark to Market ( MTM)  apply i.e. you must recognize  the yearly gains ( from earnings  and not contributions ) --- it is like  you sold the asset at the end of the year and bought the assets back on the  first of the next year.   Your  US basis  changes every year ( for US tax purposes ). 

I sort of remember having answered this topic earlier.

Please consider using a Tax Professional familiar with international taxing esp. PFIC / MTM  for this year. Thereafter you  should be able to do it yourself without any issues.

If you need  more on this , please leave a note and I will circle back.  

Please forgive my memory failure -- I am 82  and given to senior hours quite often

pk