pgTT1a
Returning Member

Revoking Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

I am using TurboTax desktop.  

I have claimed the foreign earned income exclusion in the past and had foreign income for part of 2021, but would like to revoke my exclusion for that tax year.

From what I can determine, the IRS requires that I include a statement with my return formally revoking the exclusion.

It doesn't appear that TurboTax provides a way to generate such a statement for electronic filing.  I have seen a community response that the TurboTax return must be printed and paper filed in this situation, with the manually generated revocation statement included.

My TurboTax return is 43 pages long, 20 of which are form 8949.  I hate to think of the IRS keying this return in manually.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

There is no way to do this electronically using a DIY program ... your only option is to attach the statement to a mailed in return.

pgTT1a
Returning Member

Thank You for your response.

I expected this would be the answer, but thought I would make one last attempt in the hope that I would not have to file a paper TurboTax return.

I'm surprised that TurboTax does not provide a mechanism to include a freeform statement page with your electronic filing to avoid the need to file a paper return in situations like this, but I guess they have their reasons.

Thanks Again!  I greatly appreciate it!

The reason is because the IRS doesn't allow it ... their computers cannot read such an attachment. 

pgTT1a
Returning Member

Makes sense.

Thanks again for your help!