rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Replying to the modified question.

@rebmaboss wrote:
3a) Is the 501c3 required to give me a 1099, or is it enough that I keep track of all the income myself?

Assuming that the organization is a U.S. organization, they are required to give you a Form 1099-NEC if they pay you $600 or more for services in one year.

For your other questions, it seems iffy to me. You might have to dig into exactly how the organization decides how much money to send you. If the amount that they send you is based entirely on what you do, and has no relation to how much "your" donors give, that would seem to be okay. On the other hand, if the amount that they send you is based on the amount that "your" donors contribute, that would imply that the donations are designated for you and are therefore not tax deductible, no matter what is written on the check or any other related communications.

You might want to consult a tax lawyer. Note that the deductibility of the donations is primarily a problem for the donors, not for you. However, if you are soliciting directed donations and saying or implying that the donations are tax deductible, that could be a problem for you.

And, of course, you have to keep good records of your income and report all your income, whether or not you get a 1099-NEC.

View solution in original post