Deemoney
Returning Member

Why is my taxes taken 4 months

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@Deemoney 

How did you file--did you efile, or did you choose to file by printing and mailing the return?   If you filed a paper return, it can take up to 6-9 months or longer due to the backlogged IRS.   By the way, if you filed a paper return, did you physically mail it?  TurboTax does not mail it for you.

If you efiled, make sure it was accepted for processing.  You can log into Online TurboTax and check at the Tax Home.

What is displayed at the IRS "Where's My  Refund" tool?   Is there any message there?
https://www.irs.gov/refunds

If that tool says your return is "still being processed", here's how you can try to phone the IRS to see if you can learn anything about the delay, but but be warned the IRS is not easy to reach.   I have found that for me it was best to call just before closing time--about 6:50-6:55 PM and go through the steps below.  I figured a lot of folks would not call that close to closing, and that if I was one of the last to get into the queue, they would finish off all the people who were in the queue at closing time.   I still had to wait about 25-30 minutes.   

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you have a financial hardship, we can tell you how to contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service to see if they can assist you in getting info from the IRS or possibly moving things along.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@Deemoney - the IRS is woefully backlogged.  If you paper filed, assume it will be 6-9 months from the time you filed until your return is processed.   The IRS processes in the order received and just began February returns last week!

just be patient!

here is what the IRS website states:

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to December 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before October 2021 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.