DebR4
Returning Member

1099-NEC Income

My husband is a full-time employee for a company that gave him a W-2 for his wages, but also paid him $25k as nonemployee compensation through a 1099-NEC. He did work for other buildings the company owns that is outside of his regular job, but the company still tells him what work to do, how to do it, provides the supplies for him to use, etc. He does not work for any other company, so it does not seem like he would need to get an EIN.

When I enter the 1099-NEC income in TurboTax, under "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?", it seems I need to check the box that reads "This is not money earned as an employee or self-employed individual, it is from a sporadic activity or hobby (this is not common)", because I don't think he needs to do a Schedule C. The only thing is that this is not sporadic, he receives this non-employee payment from the company (his employer) every month. Would it be correct to check the box "This is not money earned as an employee or self-employed individual, it is from a sporadic activity or hobby (this is not common)"?

Thank you!