Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I'm still missing something and the IRS documentation doesn't clear this up.  I guess something is just going over my head.  So... He died on Thanksgiving.  His financial stuff was sold the following Monday, the first day of business after his death.  He got a nice capital gains according to the end of year 1099-B summary reported on his social security number.  And at this point I guess I should say "his estate got..."  The result was distributed to the beneficiaries.   We still had his house to sell, which was sold this year.  There were other incomes this year, 2019, as well.  So, are the capital gains from the financial stuff ignored by all?  Should a 1041 be filed for the estate with the estate ID for the 2018 year declaring those capital gains?  This wouldn't be the final 1041 because there is income this year, 2019, from the estate plus the income on the sale of the house (no profit or loss for that).   There has been no distribution reported anywhere yet, and I know that the distributions should be reported some time as a result of the 1041 process.  Is that reported only on the final (2019) 1041 filing, or is the distribution made in 2018 reported on a 1041 that was not filed in 2018?