Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@MarilynG1 Thank you for replying.

@MarilynG1 wrote:

Yes, you can file as MFJ for your Federal return.

New Jersey requires that you file as MFJ if you filed as such on your Federal return (different states have different rules).

Thank you for clarifying.

Do you know if MD has such a rule as well? Their website appeared to say something similar. 

@MarilynG1 wrote:

You will be able to indicate the dates your wife lived in NJ, and also be able to either adjust your Federal income (subtractions from NJ income) to not include her Maryland income OR get credit for tax paid to Maryland. 

So I will be able to adjust both our duration of dates lived in NJ separately?

Is there a way/tutorial I can look up to adjust income? How do you recommend I adjust the Federal income and/or get credit for MD tax? I was creating a mock up on the online Turbotax filing and there I filled up the Maryland taxes first, but then it would not allow to deduct any amounts/change from federal returns. 

I ended up trying to fill both MD and NJ as MFJ and claiming tax breaks from either state for taxes paid in the other, but I think that's probably not the right way to do this.

Fact: I lived in NJ for the whole of 2021, wife lived in NJ till 6/30/21, then MD for the rest of the year.

Just have to translate this in tax properly, which eludes me at this time.

@MarilynG1 wrote:

She will need to file a Part-Year Maryland return as MFS.

I think, for this I will definitely need the PC software for the mockup MFS Federal return, as there is no way I can modify the online version to do this.

This has been very confusing at the moment. Please share if you have any other suggestions too.