pk
Level 15
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@SandyG19 , sorry for the confusion  ( I think ).  You will notice that each of the articles that you so graciously  referred, talk of  "interest" being  credited to your account  either in the form  cash/liquid  or re-invested.   This is what I called  "constructively received" and therefore I quite agree with the  comments of these articles.  What I did not say,   and probably should have ,  is that the answer really depends on the type of contract you have .  I was assuming that  the interest is credited to your account at the end of the term -- i.e. there is no crediting to your account  or re-investment during the term.

If the contract allows for periodic crediting or automatic  re-investment of earned interest, then effectively it would be "constructively received " and therefore  US return would require you to recognize the  amount of earnings ( even if there is a  limitation  on withdrawing the  amount from your account ) and  therefore  the levied/paid foreign tax on the earnings  should be eligible  for foreign tax credit.  Note that if the amount of foreign tax is equal or less than $300  per  taxpayer, then  the whole amount falls under the safe harbor rules and  is recognizable / allowable for the tax year  ( i.e. no limited allowability  with form 1116 ).

I was trying to stay away from  "mark to market" and "imputed earnings" and  perhaps  just made a mess of it  -- sorry .

Does this  come more in line with your thoughts ?  Is there more I can do for you ?