Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I will try to keep this very simple, but if the explanation isn't clear LMK.

(1) Assets are any fixed capital equipment purchased for an activity (eg, a business, a farm) that has a life of more than 1 year, and its cost is spread out over time via depreciation - that info, time-line and expense tracking is what the Asset Entry worksheet does for you by having a data-base of the myriad types the IRS recognizes, otherwise its a daunting "detail challenge".

(2) Create a simple Schedule C for "My Auto Repair Business" - just open and create the Schedule C but don't bother fill in anything more.

(3) Then, in Forms mode search for the form "Asset Entry" - numerous types will show up on a selection list, and you select Asset Entry - Schedule C.

(4) You will be prompted for an asset name - eg, "Welding Machine", and then prompted to link it to a Schedule C - select the "My Auto Repair Business".

(5) At this point you should be looking at an Asset Entry Worksheet, with a list of fields all related to an asset - name, date acquired, date in service, cost, etc.

(6) Field 5 is Type of Asset - position yourself in that field and a drop-down list of only 2 types appears.   FROM THAT VERY FIELD select the Turbotax Help icon, and you'll see that in fact there should be a list of 15 - 20 different types that Turbotax supports, all listed in that Help description; all these types SHOULD be showing up in the selection drop-down menu (in fact, used to show up...)

This discussion likely useless to others, but don't know how to keep it off the Community forum, let me know how if necessary...