Two-step verification with landline?!

I'd like to set up two-step verification.  However, it seems that it requires a cell phone with text messaging.  I read that you can add an authenticator (e.g., Google Authenticator), but the Intuit web pages indicate that is an *additional* step AFTER setting up and verifying one's cell phone # with a text message.

Oddly, elsewhere, Intuit's help pages mention that the two-step process can involve EITHER a text message or a phone call.  (See next post.)

I've hesitated to set up two-step verification because I can see a nightmare of it requiring & trying to send a text message to a landline -- and, then, my never getting back into the account again!  I'd rather not gamble and end up having to go through the hassles of Account Recovery.

Can anyone confirm whether Intuit will call a landline or whether you can set up an authenticator without using a cell phone and receiving a text message?

Thanks!

Moderators:  Please move this to the appropriate forum.  I was unable to find a "Post a Question" button under Data and Security.  All that included were answers.