sasso

My 18 year old dependent received 2. W2s in the total amount of 1341.75. Do I need to include these amounts/W2s in my tax return?

Began first year of college in September 2020. Full time student.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

MY DEPENDENT HAD A JOB

If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, summer job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc or 1099NEC then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.  You may want to use this version of TT for that:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
sasso

His earnings were 1341.75 but not  reported on a 1099Misc or 1099NEC , rather on two W2 forms (535.05 and 806.70 total warmest times and other comps, respectively. Is he required to file? 

No he is not REQUIRED  to file.   Was any tax withheld that he would like to get back as a refund?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
sasso

Thank you. 

RE yer answer "No he is not REQUIRED  to file.   Was any tax withheld that he would like to get back as a refund?".... 

Approx 95 USD was withheld in Fed, SS and Medicare

I guess you did not read the first reply.   He can never get back the SS or Medicare.   He can only get back the federal tax from box 2 or the state tax from box 17.