Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Before mid-March, it was still not possible to e-file with the simplified form. This is because Turbo's 1116 AltMin simplified from does not fill in the date! It is blank. In 2020 this gets flagged by IRS e-file. This case is common if you earn a salary in a foreign country and trigger AMT. 

If Intuit had simply fixed the form to fill in the date from the worksheet (like it does for the 1116 AltMin non-simplified) then there would have been no trouble. They had this info in Feb. One smart developer in one day could have fixed it (with maybe a week of regression testing) Instead they choose to ignore it, piss people off, cause 1000s of hours of support costs. and eventually say you can't do it. Someone there should loose their job.

I e-filed in Feb and got my stimulus money. I figured out the correct taxes. Then I changed to non-simplifed and confirmed that in my case, the tax refund amount was 100% identical. Then I e-filed.  After tax day, I will submit an amended return with the simplified calculation with a letter explaining what I did. No change to the amounts in my case.