eykong

If my parents claim me as a dependent on their foreign tax report, do I still need to say I am a dependent although I am a U.S citizen?

As I'm a college student my parents did financially support me more than 50%, but they claimed me as a dependent on a foreign tax report as they do not live in the States. However, I'm a U. S citizen so is it possible to be considered an independent since my parents nor I will receive any benefit if I'm claimed as a dependent on a foreign tax report?
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The issue is whether your parents can claim you as a dependent based on IRS guidelines. If your parents do not furnish over 1/2 of your support, then they cannot claim you as a dependent, so you should not indicate that they can claim you when your file your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@ThomasM125 - please re-read the question.  the parents DID support the student for over 50%.  Can we please respond in the positive, so there is no confusion

If your parents did furnish over 1/2 of your support, then they CAN claim you as a dependent, so you should indicate that they can claim you when your file your tax return.

Note the issue is whether they CAN claim you, not whether they actually did!