Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eykong

If my parents claim me as a dependent on their foreign tax report, do I still need to say I am a dependent although I am a U.S citizen?

As I'm a college student my parents did financially support me more than 50%, but they claimed me as a dependent on a foreign tax report as they do not live in the States. However, I'm a U. S citizen so is it possible to be considered an independent since my parents nor I will receive any benefit if I'm claimed as a dependent on a foreign tax report?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

If my parents claim me as a dependent on their foreign tax report, do I still need to say I am a dependent although I am a U.S citizen?

The issue is whether your parents can claim you as a dependent based on IRS guidelines. If your parents do not furnish over 1/2 of your support, then they cannot claim you as a dependent, so you should not indicate that they can claim you when your file your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ThomasM125 - please re-read the question.  the parents DID support the student for over 50%.  Can we please respond in the positive, so there is no confusion

If your parents did furnish over 1/2 of your support, then they CAN claim you as a dependent, so you should indicate that they can claim you when your file your tax return.

Note the issue is whether they CAN claim you, not whether they actually did! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies