JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The self-employment tax deferral may have been selected unintentionally.

Are you saying that you added temporary income to qualify for the self-employment tax deferral interview questions?  In some cases, you may need to add temporary income to your self-employment activity to generate a balance due and allow you to access the self-employment tax deferral questions.  But I am able to remove the temporary income.

In TurboTax Online Self-Employed, I was able to remove self-employment tax deferral and pass Review.  Follow these steps.

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Deductions  & credits.
  • Under Your tax breaks, scroll down to Self-employment tax deferral.
  • Click on Edit/Add to the right of Self-employment tax deferral.
  • At the screen Do you want more time to pay your self-employment tax?, click Yes.
  • At the screen Let's start by getting your eligible income, I have left the dollar amount that was previously entered, others change this amount to $0.
  • Click on Continue.
  • At the screen Tell us how much you'd like to defer, delete the dollar amount.
  • Click Continue.
  • Click through Federal Review to make sure than the Review issue has been removed.
  • At the screen Some of your self-employment taxes may be eligible, click Skip.

The self-employment tax deferral is an optional benefit.  It is also a deferral rather than forgiveness, so those amounts will eventually need to be repaid. Half of the deferred amount is due on December 31, 2021, and the other half is due on December 31, 2022.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"