Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hi James!

Thanks for responding.  No, I am not reporting Schedule E rental income.  These losses are related to businesses in which I have ownership.  The numbers on the screenshot show:

Regular Tax

2018: -745 (operating loss)

2019: -404

Total: -$1,042

QBI Deduction

2019: 0

Total: -$77

I went back and looked at my 2018 and 2019 returns, and it seems like the Regular Tax numbers are being pulled from Form 6198 At-Risk Limitations.  I do not know where the Total of -$1,042 is coming from or why it doesn't add up to the numbers being pulled from my 2018 and 2019 returns.  Similarly, I don't know where the $0 from 2019 under the QBI section is coming from and why it doesn't match the Total of -$77.

Full disclosure: in 2018 I had indicated I had at-risk losses on my first filing.  I spoke with a CPA afterwards and found that nothing I have is at-risk, so I had to file an amended return.  Since then, I have not indicated anything I have is at-risk.  That said, I'm not sure why I have Form 6198 on my 2018 and 2019 returns.  Moreover, I'm not sure how much all of this matters if I'm taking the standard deduction other than for the sake of filing accurate numbers.  I'm not sure if any of that helps or not; just trying to be transparent.