GotTaxQs45
Returning Member

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@myles1 

I had a similar issue.  I think that's a flaw or lack of clarity in TurboTax - after inputting your W2 in the federal section it asks you to check the box about "Paid family leave - I earned all or part of this..."  It looks like if you check this box it will record all of your wages on that W2 as CA exempt for the time being when estimating your CA Refund.  When you get to the state section it will ask again how much of the wages were PFL and it will show that the entire amount is pre-filled in that field.  You'll update that amount in that field to be the actual amount of PFL (see below, it appears this amount is likely to be zero).

Here is a helpful article I found with more info about where CA PFL is coming from (1099-G or a W2) and which portions will actually be CA exempt.  From what I understand, it seems to indicate that PFL paid via your employer is probably not CA exempt.  It appears that only PFL that's reported on a separate W2 from a third party insurer or is reported on a 1099-G is exempt.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/what-do-i-need-to-know-about-paid-family-leave-pfl...

I'm not a tax expert, but the above article helped clear it up for me - hopefully it's helpful for any others on this thread looking for help.