College Student

I have 2 college students who earned over $5000 in W-2 Earnings and I did provide 1/2 of there expenses (lodging, Food, ect) can I claim them as dependents or can they claim themselves and get stimulus recover?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If they are full time students under the age of 24 then you should be able to claim them as dependents under the Qualifying Child rules if they meet all the requirements.  The income received the student is not relevant under the rules, only if they provided over one-half of their support is relevant.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

How is the more than half of his or her own support for the year calculated?

@Tlynncpa wrote:

How is the more than half of his or her own support for the year calculated?

Use this IRS worksheet for determining the amount of support - https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf