sgonz29
Returning Member

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hello, I am a post doc who was switched to a T32. For 2020 taxes, I have a W2 from my previous salary through the university, but I stopped being a university "employee" and was switched to a T32 around October. As far as I could find I was not given a T1098, nor did I receive any letter with the amount of my salary for the year that came from the T32. I calculated it on my own based on my payslips/bank info.  

I just want to make sure I am understanding the steps correctly because it was a bit tricky to add myself as a student.

I input my regular W2 information under the Wages section.

Then, I input my calculated T32 income under (sorry it is long!): 

Deductions and Credits >  Education >  Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)  > Put I DID NOT receive a T1098 yet > Put that I qualify for an exception > Added school info (and said that I don't know the school ID) > Said I paid ZERO tuition > Said I was a student in a different kind of program > Said I was NOT enrolled in a certificate or credential program > DID NOT take college level classes in 2020 > DID NOT take classes for job or career > NOT enrolled in an eligible school > DID NOT go to another school > DID NOT pay for books or make payments towards an education loan > Said I DID receive a scholarship or grant in 2020 > Entered the amount I calculated from the T32 > Said my aid was NOT designated to pay 2020 education expenses > Entered the amount I calculated from the T32 again here > I DID NOT pay for room and board etc > Said I earned  4 years of college credits before 2020... and then completed the last two questions about American Opportunity/Hope Credit and Felonies

This was how I managed to add myself as a student like one of the previous posts indicated. Before this, I tried going through "Less Common Income" option but was told to upgrade. I just want to make sure that I added myself as a student correctly/ this is the appropriate way to handle this particular tax situation situation.