bmctigue
Returning Member

Home sale and divorce

My wife and I sold our home in June 2020 and divorce was final in August 2020, so we will be filing single for 2020. We bought the home for 644K in 2002 and sold for 1.1m in 2020. We did about 150K in improvements over the years. We split the proceeds 50/50. How should we handle on individual tax returns? Cut everything in half? Purchase price, improvements, etc?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes, split everything 50/50. 

bmctigue
Returning Member

Thank you. So each return would show house bought for 322K, 75K improvements and 550k sale price?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

That is correct.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
riki1969

My husband and I sold our home July 2020 and divorce was final October 2020.  Out of the proceeds from the sale, we paid off all of our mutual debt and split the rest.  How do we file our taxes with the sale of the house and how do we report the mortgage interest that we paid for 2020?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

As @ColeenD3 stated above, "split everything 50/50."

Each of you can report "one-half" the sale of the house - 1/2 of the proceeds, 1/2 of the selling costs, 1/2 of the cost basis.

The same goes for the mortgage interest - each of you can enter 1/2 of the amounts reported on the Form 1098.

Enter "sale of home" in the Search box and select "jump to sale of home" from the results. See the screenshot below for aid in navigation: