Lee48
Returning Member

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Thank you for your reply. I agree with you that "mixed-status families" (interesting term) are eligible, but please correct me if I'm wrong if I am reading the IRS worksheet incorrectly. On line 4 of the worksheet, after answering NO to line 3, it says that "credit is limited", and to proceed to line 5;  line 5 and later line 8, gives instructions on how much to claim.  Since only one of us has a SSN, they indicate that I can only claim $1200 for the 1st payment, and $600 for the 2nd. If I'm reading their instructions correctly it's indicating that when only one person has a SSN and is eligible, I would only be eligible to receive the stimulus payment ONLY for myself, not my wife, who is not a citizen. Is this correct, or can I claim my wife's credit even though she's not a citizen and does not have a SSN?  (TurboTax seems to be missing this important worksheet in their application...it does not come up when preparing my tax return; perhaps there are not enough "mixed-status families" to include it, but there does not seem to be a workaround.  In fact, even when I leave the SSN blank, the application does not factor this this fact in the calculation.  Hence, my reaching out to the community.)