sedi1995

I filed my taxes before I received my unemployment W-2

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Unemployment is on a 1099-G form not on a W-2.  You will now have to wait.  Once you e-file a return, you cannot get it back, cancel it, or make any changes to it. 

You will have to wait until your return gets accepted or rejected to make any changes.  Do not make any changes to your e-filed return, it will not go through.  The IRS is not accepting returns until Feb. 12th, you will have to wait until then to see if your return is accepted or rejected.

If rejected, you can enter or change your information, then re-e-file.

If accepted, you would have to amend your return to make changes or add information.

Also, the Federal amended return (1040X), will not be available until around Feb. 28th (subject to change).

--------------------------

When you are ready to enter your Unemployment information:

Where do I report a 1099-G for unemployment or paid family leave?

Here's where to report your 1099-G for unemployment or paid family leave.

If you're using the TurboTax mobile app, follow these instructions.

Unemployment compensation and paid family leave are entered in the same place:

1. Open or continue your tax return.
  2. Search for 1099-G and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  3. On the Did you receive unemployment or paid family leave benefits in 2020? screen, answer Yes.
  4. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your 1099-G information.

View solution in original post

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You will have to wait and see if your return gets rejected or accepted by the IRS.

Please be aware that the IRS currently won't start processing returns until February 12, 2021.

• If your return will be rejected by the IRS, all you have to do is add your unemployment on your return and refile.
  • If your return will be accepted by the IRS, you have to file an amended return (1040X) to make changes. But you might want to wait until your refund or payment is processed. Please be aware that you can e-file your 2020 amended federal tax return, but most states require amendments to be printed and filed by mail.

Please see FAQ How to amend a tax return for instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"