Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Thank you for the reply.  I very much appreciate the insight and the validation.

I am convinced there is a software glitch in one of the worksheets in turbotax online, but have been unsuccessful in finding technical help.  This is the first time in 20 years I am having trouble getting turbotax online to put the correct figure on the correct line of a federal or state tax form. 

I understand the tax situation both for federal and state purposes.  I would be comfortable filling out the tax return forms on my own but want the convenience of e-filing that turbotax provides.  I have tested the problem using different state addresses, yet the technical problem persists.  (I am a full year resident of one state, but as a test, I simulated the problem in at least one other state return that I then deleted.)

I am not required to click or make entries in any of the "My form has info in other boxes."  Rather, it is on the next turbotax page that the trouble begins.  At that page, I check the "A portion of these dividends is U. S. Government interest" box.  After I check that box and click "Continue" turbo tax takes me to the next page that says "Enter the amount of dividends reported on this 1099-DIV that represents interest from U.S. Government obligations."  So far, this is all extremely familiar as I have done this a gazillion times before without any surprises or trouble.

After I enter the correct amount in the field and click "Continue", turbotax brings me back to the "Review your 1099-DIV info" page (as expected).  However, once I return to the "Review your 1099-DIV info" page, I find that the figure I just entered on the previous page is gone.  It's left wallowing somewhere in the ether not to be found on any internal turbotax worksheet.  [Poof.]