Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Thank you for the quick reply. Would I be correct in assuming that if I did not live in one of the states that have changed their TPSO reporting thresholds to be below the federal threshold, then PayPal would not have issued me a 1099K and would not have reported that information to the IRS? If that is true, then obviously I would not be paying federal or state taxes on that PayPal income. The intent of the Virginia law change was to generate more tax revenue for the state of Virginia, but because I’m now having to report it on my federal income return also, I’m now also paying federal tax on it — tax that I would not be paying if I didn’t live in one of those few states. That doesn’t seem logical, does it?

I should also note that in prior years, before Virginia made this law change in 2020, I never received 1099Ks from PayPal and I presume my PayPal income was never reported to the IRS. That leads me to believe that if I lived in a state that did not have this lower threshold, I would not have to pay federal tax on it.