Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

It depends, but probably.  The main question is whether or not he is considered disabled by tax standards.  Here is an IRS link regarding who is a Qualifying Child.  Most children (and adults) with autism do qualify under the definition, since it is likely that they will be unable to truly care for themselves.  

It is a good thing that your son is able to work, but if he is not caring for at least 50% of his own financial support (which is unlikely), and he is living with you for at least 6 months, then he is your Qualifying Child (especially if your doctor provides proper documentation to back up your claim).  He would also qualify as a dependent for Earned Income Credit (if you would qualfiy for that credit), as well as the Child and Dependent Care Credit (if you must pay for a daycare or similar service to care for him).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post