Carl
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Based on all the information you have provided, you are correct.

Reporting the sale in TurboTax should be easy, provided that since your dad originally purchased the property, the property was never rented out at any time (not even a room rented out) and at no time was a home office deduction claimed on the property during the entire period of ownership since your dad purchased it.

Basically, if you report this in the "sale of home (gain or loss) section, you don't need to list out each and every little property improvement individually. You can just total up the original purchase price and all property improvements and use that bottom line figure as your cost basis.

I am assuming that this property was used as a 2nd home or a vacation home. Therefore that's where I would expect this sale to be reported. But do pay attention to detail when working it through that section. Depending on your specific situation, you "may" be told by the program that the correct place to report this sale is in the Investments section. If that occurs and you need help reporting it in the Investments section, then by all means post back here and I'll do my best to help with that.