gregsanchezz
Returning Member

1099-NEC Conversion in 2020

I am returning TurboTax customer and have used TurboTax for many years.  I always file a schedule C.  The income for my schedule C is normally on a 1099-MISC with box 7 filled out for "Non Employee Compensation".  This year Non Employee compensation is being reported on form 1099-NEC. 

In the "On Demand Tax Guidance" button in TurboTax it says the following, "If you're a returning TurboTax customer, we'll check if last year's 1099-MISC had an amount in box 7. If it did, we'll automatically change your form to a 1099-NEC for this years taxes."  I transferred my 2019 return into 2020 and the above simply does NOT happen.  My 1099-MISC doesn't change to a 1099-NEC.  I am forced to create a 1099-NEC and another Schedule C.  So basically I have 2 Schedule Cs.  One with no income but prior year "pre-filled" information, i.e., depreciation items, auto info, home office info, etc. and another with the 1099-NEC income but no expenses (in other words, I need to start from scratch on the expenses).   From what I can tell, I can't link my new 1099-NEC to the prior year schedule C and the program definitely is not automatically changing my for to a 1099-NEC.

I don't want to recreate my the expense side of my Schedule C.  What gives?  Am I just doing this too soon and an update will fix this?

Thx --