Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Thanks Critter - I truly appreciate your comments.  This is what I understand at this point.

1) The IRS W9 states, on page 3, that a disregarded entity must use the TIN of the personal taxpayer, a SSN.  Vanguard forced me to use the EIN of the disregarded entity, while also checking the box as an individual.  Its been 3 years, and I just learned that this might be wrong.  

2) The IRS's instructions for filling out a 1099 for a disregarded entity / LLC states that I am to use my SSN, and not my EIN.  If the EIN is used, then a 1096 Type 2 error needs to be reported on the corrected form.  I will ask Vanguard to validate this point.  Criiter-3 is saying that I can use the EIN or the SSN, so Vanguard did it right.  My property manager used my EIN as well, and I filed my rent income on schedule E (I did not use schedule C).  Critter-3 is saying that both schedule C and schedule E are correct. 

3)  The EIN for a disregarded entity was needed by Wells Fargo and Vanguard to set up my accounts, but wells fargo still reports my 1099-INT to my SSN.  Vanguard reports the 1099-DIV and 1099-B to my EIN.  It was vanguard who told my property manager to use my EIN for the 1099-MISC rental income.  

4) I am getting mixed advice on whether or not I need to perform a corrected 1099 with my SSN (remove my EIN).  Critter-3 is saying that I do not need to submit any corrections and this is why I received my 2017and 2018 tax refunds even though I used my EIN on the 1099s.  Another person has told me that I need to fix the 1099s from the last 3 years, even though I received refunds.  This is the reason for the confusion.

5) Critter-3 is asking me why I opened the LLC.  Here are my reasons:

5A) An LLC allows me to deed real-estate in the name of the LLC.  It hides my personal identity.  I own many rental homes, and I do not want a google search to reveal my wealth.  

5B) An LLC makes the business seem more professional and established.  My tenants want the comfort of knowing that they are renting a home that will be available to them for many years.    It makes them feel safe.

5C)  A single-member LLC provides protection against civil law suits, but not criminal charges.  The civil suit will be capped to the assets that are held within the LLC.  I own many LLCs for this purpose.  I still need commercial insurance policies.  

Here is where I am.   I mailed my return in March, and WMR says "still processing" with no letters being sent to me, and no error codes on my transcripts.  In wondering why I have not received anything, I stumbled on the possibility that the 1099s are wrong for 2017, 2018, and 2019.  I will be meeting with a  Vanguard Group's tax speciaist, as they were the source of this possible problem.    I will raise all of the points that are in this stream.  Meanwhile, the IRS has published that no one should call them, and no one should write to them.  In 4 months, I will be filing my 2020 returns, and I wonder if the 2019 returns will still be processing.