ashleyrisso
Returning Member

I live in DC and work in VA. Employer mistakenly withheld VA taxes for a few weeks into the year of 2019 before correcting to DC and will not issue a W-2 correction. How do I reconcile this in TurboTax?

I work in Northern Virginia. My first couple years with the job, I lived in VA until moving to Washington, DC in December 2018. Because of reciprocity in the region, I should only have received just one single W-2 for DC as I lived there the entirety of 2019. Erroneously, payroll was not updated to reflect the change in address until February 2019 (my mistake), thereby taking out VA taxes for the first few weeks of 2019 before switching over to DC. I received two W-2s for 2019- one for about 10% of the year's worth of wages in VA, one for the remaining ~90% of the year's wages in DC.

I reached out to my payroll department to inquire about a W-2 correction to reconcile the misappropriated VA taxes. The department would not issue a correction and has since refused to reply to any of my further inquiries.

Without a W-2 correction, how can I reconcile this information to pay my state taxes appropriately using TurboTax Deluxe's online software? I can request a refund of the taxes paid to VA for the first few weeks of 2019 but I cannot figure out how to report the missing untaxed wages to DC.