cgruntman

Wife got 1099 Misc-Other Income as beneficiary for son's residuals. Do I need to file a Schedule C for this?

Wife received 1099 misc(other income) as beneficiary for son's residuals (an actor/performer). He has been dead for 10 years & my wife has only received one 1099 misc many years ago.  After completing Other Income, TT identified this as a business operated by my wife on Schedule C. Am I completing other the Other Income area properly?   Do I need to file a Schedule C for this?

TomD8
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

In the follow-up questions in the 1099-MISC section, answer NO to the question about it involving work like a main job, and NO to the question about intent to make money.  That should tell the program not to generate a Schedule C.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
cgruntman

worked perfectly - Thanks TomD8
hollandab

I tried your solution to a similar situation for a whole $11.00 reported on 1099-misc on an investment portfolio.  I tried answering no to the two question but it still seems to treat me like a business asking questions for a schedule C.  Do you have any other ideas?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You are not self-employed, but TurboTax thinks you are because of the way you entered it on your return.
• Wages & Income
• Scroll to Other Common Income
• Select Income from a 1099-MISC
• Post your information from the form [Continue]
• Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC
• Post XXXXXX
• Does one of these uncommon situations apply?
• Select None of the above
• Did the XXXXX involve work that's like your main job?
• No
• How often did you get income for moving incentive?
• Check Got it in 2020
• Did the moving incentive involve an intent to earn money?
• Answer No
If you do not follow this posting procedure it will result in self-employment.  You would also have to pay 15.3% in self-employment tax (Social Security & Medicare).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"