turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cgruntman

Wife got 1099 Misc-Other Income as beneficiary for son's residuals. Do I need to file a Schedule C for this?

Wife received 1099 misc(other income) as beneficiary for son's residuals (an actor/performer). He has been dead for 10 years & my wife has only received one 1099 misc many years ago.  After completing Other Income, TT identified this as a business operated by my wife on Schedule C. Am I completing other the Other Income area properly?   Do I need to file a Schedule C for this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Wife got 1099 Misc-Other Income as beneficiary for son's residuals. Do I need to file a Schedule C for this?

In the follow-up questions in the 1099-MISC section, answer NO to the question about it involving work like a main job, and NO to the question about intent to make money.  That should tell the program not to generate a Schedule C.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
cgruntman

worked perfectly - Thanks TomD8
hollandab

I tried your solution to a similar situation for a whole $11.00 reported on 1099-misc on an investment portfolio.  I tried answering no to the two question but it still seems to treat me like a business asking questions for a schedule C.  Do you have any other ideas?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You are not self-employed, but TurboTax thinks you are because of the way you entered it on your return.
• Wages & Income
• Scroll to Other Common Income
• Select Income from a 1099-MISC
• Post your information from the form [Continue]
• Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC
• Post XXXXXX
• Does one of these uncommon situations apply?
• Select None of the above
• Did the XXXXX involve work that's like your main job?
• No
• How often did you get income for moving incentive?
• Check Got it in 2020
• Did the moving incentive involve an intent to earn money?
• Answer No
If you do not follow this posting procedure it will result in self-employment.  You would also have to pay 15.3% in self-employment tax (Social Security & Medicare).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies