Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@ lmtmmp wrote:

I bought Turbo Tax Home & Office for $100.00 in Office Depot. The box clearly says on it "Federal Returns; Federal E-File; State Returns." I brought the product home and opened it. The instructions said I could either install my (purchased) product by inserting the CD or Download it from InstallTurboTax.com. I chose to download it, hoping it would upload last years info into all the right places and save me time.

The site wanted me to enter the license number for the product I had purchased, which I did. Sure enough, the basic info part of the form filled in just like I had hoped.

I finished my Federal return followed by my State return.

At that point Turbo Tax threatened to "delete" my State return unless I paid them and additional $50.00. I called Office Depot to complain of this fraud. I reached a manager Duane, who believed that a way existed to print out my State return.

Seeking this option is when I came upon the larger fraud! Now Turbo Tax wanted me to pay for the whole product again before doing any printing. They also want to charge me $120.00 (additionally) for what Office Depot (already) sold me for $100.

What should I do?

Did you mistakenly use the Online TurboTax website instead of your installed 2019 desktop product?

For example, in Online Self-Employed the Federal return fee is $120 and a state return preparation fee is $50.   So it sounds like you may have somehow ending up using the Online TurboTax website instead of your installed software.   Are you having to use a browser and log in each time?

The two products are not interchangeable, so the Online product would charge you in full again, but we can tell you how to avoid paying twice.

If that's what happened, we can tell you how to download the *.tax2019 data file you started in Online TurboTax, so you can open and finish it in the desktop software.

Note that even in the desktop software there is a 24.99 fee to efile a state return (except free for New York state), but there is no fee to print and mail the state return.

But it sounds like you used Online TurboTax, based on the charge figures you provided above ($120 and $50).   We can tell you more when you report back.

Also, did you install the software on a Mac or Windows computer?