Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@mb123 wrote:

I have filed head of household for many years.

My grand-daughter (s) have been my qualifying person, but not my dependent. My single daughter claims her as dependent.    My adult daughter and grandchild both live in my home,

I have been able to change my filing status on the form in the past how do I do that this year ?

If you have filed that way for years then you have filed false tax returns and have probably underpaid your tax.  You should amend those years and file properly.

You can ONLY file HOH if you claim your granddaughter as a dependent.   There is only ONE condition where HOH can be filed without actually claiming a child as a dependent and that is when the custodial *parent* releases the dependent to other non-custodial *parent* that does not live with the child.  Only in that case can the custodial parent claim HOH.   That does not apply to anyone other than the parents of the child.

See the rules for HOH in IRS pub 17.  Table 2-1.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**