Anonymous
Not applicable

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I have a similar problem.

My family and I moved to the US, with a job, in May of 2017. Since then, we have health coverage through my job.

Our tax return was filed by our tax accountant with the full year health coverage box, on line 61, unchecked.

And this resulted in penalty:

> Our records show you have an unpaid shared responsibility payment for the tax year ending December 31, 2017.
You owe this payment because one or more members of you tax household didn't have minimum essential health coverage.
Your balance of $ X is due immediately.
If you already paid your balance in full within the past 14 days or made payment arrangements, please disregard this notice.

Now my questions:
1) In this situation of moving to the US as a tax individual, did we have full health coverage for the year of 2017?
2) What should I do to fix it? Send a letter (what my tax accountant recommended me) proving I got here in the middle of the year and had coverage since then, or just submit a form 1040x with the line 61 checked?

P.S.: I've explained my situation over a phone call and in a IRS office appointment, but they were not able to guide me in this situation.