Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@rockymountain wrote:

Thank you very much, Opus!

I have several more questions here.

1. Do you mean that I can get an automatic deadline extension when they receive my W-7 ITIN application?

2. How about the state tax? Will it also be extended automatically? 

3. Can I e-file my state tax return once I got the ITIN?

4. I see the instruction for State Tax return says "Do not attach any Forms(s) W-2.", however, I see the PDF has a form " Wage and Tax Statement W-2"  following the form 540, and It says "Attach this schedule to the back of your original or amended Form 540". Also, I see my W-2 copy has 2 pieces saying "Copy 2 to be filed with employee's State Income Tax Return". So, not sure what to do now.

Thank you!

1. If you mail the W-7 with the tax return, they just have to be postmarked by July 15 to be "on time" even though the IRS may be delayed in processing the forms.  But if you want a formal extension, you have to apply separately, although granting it is automatic.  You can file IRS form 4868 online or by mailing a copy by July 15.  

2. You would need to apply separately for a state extension, you should be able to do that in Turbotax online as well.  

3. You won't be able to e-file the state return when you get the ITIN, because as a security precaution you can only e-file a state return at the same time as e-filing a federal return. 

4. Follow the instruction page printed by Turbotax.  "Copy 2" etc on the W-2 is a throwback to when W-2s were a 4 or 5 copy carbon paper form and not all copies were the same quality.  When the printed tax form says "attach" or "staple" the W-2 that relates to paper filing, but if the instructions say you don't have to do that, then you should follow the turbotax instructions instead. 

View solution in original post