Carl
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Just for clarity, I'm making this statement: Since you were still legally married on Dec 31 of 2019, you two filed a 2019 joint tax return.

You are not required to pay estimated taxes. Period. End of Story. The 1040-ES forms are generated based on your 2019 income and tax liability. It's not uncommon for the program to generate those forms in your situation.

Just understand that if, when you file your 2020 tax return:

- If what you owe the IRS is more than $1000 or more than 10% of your total tax liability (whichever is *HIGHER*) then you will be assessed an underpayment or under withholding penalty. Overall though, I don't see that as a possibility since your 2019 AGI was raised by the selling of property you two own or owned together. So if you want, you can just throw away those 1040-ES forms and not concern yourselves with it.

However, I would highly suggest that both of you update your W-4 with your respective employers ASAP, to change the withholding amount on your W-2 income so they will withhold the correct amount based on your change in status from married to single.