Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Exact same problem I had.  Here is what I had to do to solve it.

1) Uninstalled the program and all the "library" files, re-installed- no better.  Same brief flash that it was "verifying everything was up to date" then it went off.

2) Called Turbotax.  Was told that many people were having this problem.  They claimed that it started after a recent Apple update.  The tech wasn't sure what the problem was, but heard it "had something to do with administrator permissions" They had no fix and suggested I call Apple.

3) I played with administrator  and user permissions for the Turbo tax app.  Still didn't open.

4) Called Apple.  They never heard of this issue.  Said they were not responsible for third party apps.  Suggested I create a new user with administrator permissions if that is what turbotax said.

5) I transferred my turbotax 2019 app to an external hard drive.  Shut down the computer and opened up under the name of my new administrator (looks like a fresh new computer when you do this).  I transferred the app to my new desktop.  

6) Clicked on the app, and amazing, it opened!  Then I filed my federal returns electronically (as I was at this step when I had my first crash).  The app didn't seem to know that I had already paid my 24.99 and I transferred me to the online payment window.  Oh no,  crashed again!  It then asked me to download developer tools (like it did the first time).  I didn't do this.

7) Restarted the app and hooray, it opened again much to my surprise given my previous experience.  This time, I wanted to just print my state returns as e-filing my state returns seemed to be where the problem started- but every time I clicked "print" the program froze with a spinning ball requiring a force app quit.  Fortunately, I could restart the app after force quitting it (thank goodness).

😎 When I went back to the screen to pay for my state returns, I elected to pay by phone (NOT online).  I called turbotax at the phone number in the pay by phone dialogue box.  The rep found my previous payment (but said there was something "wrong" with it- even though I got confirmation by email and at my bank). She refunded my money and gave me a code to enter directly into the dialogue box.  I entered it, and sure enough it went through, and my state taxes were e- filed.

9) At the next window I was able to print copies and all needed  forms.

I have used Turbotax for nearly 20 years without a problem.  It has been great before.  My MacBook Air computer is working fine in everyway (besides the Turbotax app) and it is virus free.  I am not a computer expert, but I consider myself a competent user.  I don't think the app was corrupted- I installed it from a CD without any issues (more than one time). This amount of trouble is inexcusable.  If this program doesn't work on a Mac, just say so.  Or, make it work on the Mac- there are many posts from people online with this exact same problem.  This should be a high priority fix.    I used to always buy Turbotax every year without thinking.  Next time I will carefully look at the reviews and strongly consider a competitor.