DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes, if you report the stock sales as I previously suggested you would be taxed for both Federal and State.

When stock is sold as part of a retirement account it does not need to be reported on the current tax return for the Federal.  

You are responsible for including your interest (line 8), dividends (line 9) and capital gains (line 12) of Schedule CA. They will ultimately appear in Column C for additions to income. If you have a capital loss, the loss would be reported in Column B of line 12.

If you are using TurboTax Online, I would suggest that you move your return to the Desktop version of TurboTax where you can switch the the forms mode (by clicking in the upper right hand corner of the program) and add the information for your California return more easily.

You can purchase the Desktop version of TurboTax and transfer the information for the online version to the Desktop version by going to Tax Tools (on the left hand side), Tools, Download my 2019 tax return.

Then when you open the Desktop version of TurboTax you can upload the information by click on Find A Tax File.  The program is looking for the downloaded tax file from the online version of TurboTax.

@holapi 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"