Carl
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I just realized something. The countertops and windows are classified as "Residential Rental Real Estate" and therefore have to be depreciated over 27.5 years. You don't have a choice on that.

As for the HVAC, I'm not sure, but I "think" you can classify it as an appliance which makes it depreciable over 5 years, and would therefore qualify it for the SEC 179 deduction. While the windows and countertops are without question a bona-fide property improvement that becomes "A material part of" the property and therefore classified as residential real estate depreciated over 27.5 years, one can look at the HVAC both ways. The ducting is "a material part of" the property, without question. But if all you replaced was the compressor outside and the blower inside, I would "think" you can classify those as appliances.

Looking back at my own rentals, when I replaced a compressor and blower back in the early 2000's, I classified it as an appliance and did not take the SEC 179 deduction since it didn't benefit me to do so. That "appliance" was depreciated over 5 years.