J119

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

It depends on how much your AGI was, and if you have any complications such as rental properties, or 1099-B from Stocks/Bonds etc. It also matters if you are claiming the standard deduction, or itemizing. The free addition has limitations and is meant for people that have simple tax returns.

Covered:

• W-2 income
  • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
  • Claiming the standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
  • Child tax credits

Not Covered:

• Itemized deductions
  • Business or 1099-MISC income
  • Stock sales
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on schedules 1-6, such as the Student Loan
    Interest Deduction

I personally pay the $50-$75 price tag for Turbo Tax Deluxe every year for the last 10+ years. I get it when it is on sale at Amazon so I can download a digital copy and I have it locally. It always comes with 5 free federal e-files, and 1 State download + e-file. It is worth every penny to me and once in a great while I may have a friend that needs a federal e-file so I can help out. It can handle 1099-Bs from stock sales which show gains/loses for the year, 1099-INT/DIVs, Education credits, Child care credits, Home buyer repayment form, and more. It is not meant for small businesses or rental properties but it has everything else.