Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Maybe.  If the dependent is not your child, you may qualify for Credit for Other Dependents.


Dependents who can’t be claimed for the Child Tax Credit may still qualify you for the Credit for Other Dependents. This is a non-refundable tax credit of up to $500 per qualifying person. 


To qualify, the unrelated person must have lived with the taxpayer for the entire tax year.


See the IRS website: Here’s how the credit for other dependents can benefit taxpayers for further information.


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"