abanderson
Returning Member

Foreign earned income exclusion for my spouse - please help!

Hi. I am a U.S. citizen having U.S. income last year and my wife is a non-resident alien working in a foreign country. She was outside the U.S. for 330+ days in 2019. I am trying to file Married Filing Jointly but after reading discussions and answers here, I still have questions using TurboTax. Her foreign income is around 30,000+, so we should have foreign earned income exclusion, but in TurboTax it asked if she is a non-resident alien or resident alien, and according to its definition, she is a non-resident alien, and therefore TurboTax shows that she is NOT QUALIFIED for the foreign earned income exclusion. This is confusing because according to so many articles here, when I am filing Married Filing Jointly, she is treated as a resident alien and therefore should have the foreign earned income exclusion, correct? This is one of the answers I read (many topics have the same answer too): https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/do-i-need-to-include-my-spouses-.... Can someone help clarify? Thank you so much!