jamesnbent
Returning Member

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Critter, 

I've read that as a self-employed independent contractor, making over $400 a year, is required to pay the 15.3% SE tax, yet the tax estimation from TT Home & Business says I don't owe ANY tax, which I assume means that my required SE tax is being covered somehow - maybe, I hope. (To avoid possible IRS penalties, I've made estimated tax payments on-time throughout 2019.)

I file jointly with my wife and we always get a Federal refund. Her employer w/h's Fed Income Tax, FICA and State tax. I receive SS income which w/h's Fed Income tax. Our 401k distributions also w/h Fed and State income taxes. I started working as an independent contractor in Mar 2019. I'll be getting a 1099-MISC from my sole client.

Does the estimated tax from TT H&B consider my SE tax in it's estimates? (I think so since I have entered my SE gross income and expenses in the tax estimation portion of TT 2019 to estimate taxes for 2020.) How is the required 15.4% SE tax being paid if I don't send in estimated tax vouchers?