Signing Bonus Repayment (941-X)

Hello guys,

I left my job about a month ago and, as part of my resignation letter, I handed them a check corresponding to the NET signing/relocation bonus since the repayment is happening on the same tax year as the distribution.

My question is, it has been a month since I handed them the check and they have not cashed it so I was kind of wondering if there is a requirement for them to wait until the end of the quarter to file a 941-X and then cash the check. I have sent HR and payroll multiple emails and they have not responded. The money is and will remain on my account until they cash it but I am just curious to see if someone has experienced a similar situation. 

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

There's no federal requirement that they hold on to your check. I hope that you can resolve this with your company to make sure that your W-2 is correct for this year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

dmertz
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

It seems to me that the company is in constructive receipt of your repayment in 2019, the same year as the payment was made to you, so they must provide to you with a 2019 W-2 that reflects the repayment whether or not they cash the check in 2019.