stizwv

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I could use help on same/similar issue. I received bonus for 30K in December of 2018.  In 2019 I left employment with this company and paid back pro-rated portion of bonus plus the Employee Medicare listed on pay stub (435.00). I paid back 29/36th of the money (24166.67-435.00=23731.67). I did not subtract out anything else. They have now sent me a letter saying they want to refund social security tax (1498.34 and Medicare Tax 350.41).   They letter also states "We ask that you sign this letter stating that you will not seek reimbursement for Social Security and Medicare tax that was withheld from your payment in the future nor have you made any previous claims. "   

Social security withheld on pay stub was 1860.00. So I'm confused with regard to the math AND I want to make sure this is best way to proceed. 

I'm assuming I can recover some of the taxes I paid on the ~24K when I file this year. 

Any advice , insight would be appreciated. 

Also in 2018 I maxed out the social security tax, so now getting this back would UN-MAX me out -- would I then have to file addendum for 2018? 

Thanks!