In reference to gains on the sale of your home where you did not live or own the home for at least two years during the five years from the date of sale, a Partial Exclusion May Be Available - See IRS Publication 523 Selling Your Home page 4 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p523.pdf#page=4
Health-related move. You meet the standard requirements if any of the following happened during the time you owned and lived in the home you sold:
- You moved to obtain, provide, or facilitate diagnosis, cure, mitigation, or treatment of disease, illness, or injury for yourself or a family member.
- You moved to obtain or provide medical or personal care for a family member suffering from a disease, illness, or injury.
- Family includes:
- Parent, grandparent, stepmother, stepfather;
- Child, grandchild, stepchild, adopted child, eligible foster child;
- Brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half-brother, half-sister;
- Mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law;
- Uncle, aunt, nephew, niece, or cousin.
- A doctor recommended a change in residence for you because you were experiencing a health problem.
- The above is true of your spouse, a co-owner of the home, or anyone else for whom the home was their residence.