Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hi Karl 

you have probably already solved this but this is what i did on my 2017 return and will do it 2018 - using the same software as you .

First off I used a website / service that thru API access looked at all my transactions at various exchanges since my initial investments and created cost basis  / reports / etc for all years. For me that was the going to be the hard bit so I was happy to find a service to do it. I then exported a TXF file for 2017, a file format you can import straight into turbotax. The imported file created a form 8949 and then the info went to where it belonged in Schedule D and that was it. 

In case you want to import manually, this is how it populated into my return.

The import created a form 8949.

Mine was all Long term so it all went to Part II Long-Term with Box F checked: "Long term transactions not reported to you on Form 1099-B." and the transactions are listed.

Short term would go to Part I with box C checked.

Then the information will flow to the Schedule D, short term going to line 3:  "Short term totals from all Form(s) 8949 with Box C checked" and long term going to line 10:"Long term totals from all Form(s) 8949 with box F checked."