Re: Can I change my filing status in the future?
Level 11
Level 11

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@ronaldcolin7 , ITIN are for people  not eligible for SSN and present in USA  Since you are married to a Non-Resident Alien, not present in the USA, generally  it is suggested that you apply for the visa  for her , which will also allow her  to get SSN. Then you can file as Married Filing Joint.

The issue you have here is that she is not present in the USA (and has not been admitted with a visa) and therefore she cannot even qualify for ITIN

Strongly suggest you visit the nearest IRS office and have them explain what they are willing to do or what path you should follow.  But most people that  I know,    get a K visa for the spouse , bring the spouse  to USA and then proceed with the rest of the steps to make her a citizen.

This widget could not be displayed.
Privacy Settings