Doc2465

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You are quite welcome. I can feel that pain in the pit of your stomach as you near the realization that you are going to have to send back $18k, especially if you are very close to not falling off that cliff. I'm pretty sure that I have mentioned that I do not have any expert tax credentials but I have done a ton of research on my situation with PTCs. The more your situation deviates from mine, the more I will have to plead ignorance. For example I contribute to a SEP IRA, not a 401k. I can contribute 25% of my net profit into the SEP, which is a pretty good chunk but I do not know if you would have a bigger or smaller deduction with a 401k. While it might be worth looking into for the future, I'm going to GUESS that it's too late for you to do that now unless you are allowed to contribute to both. IF eligible, you can still contribute to a SEP for 2018 until the tax deadline on April 15 2019. I do have a few more comments just to make sure that you have tried everything. I assume that you know this but I'm gong to ask you anyway: Do you know how to calculate your PTCs without using TT? What I say now will assume that you don't, or haven't. First, given all of the glitches, I would not assume that the TT calculation is correct and then learn to do it yourself. This is important because Health Insurance Premium Deductions affect your MAGI directly, which affects your PTC and your PTC affects those other two things so even if your MAGI is over the threshold, that doesn't mean that it still will be at the end of the extremely complicated calculations. Example: If your household includes you and your wife, the 400% above the poverty level is $65,840. If your MAGI is 1.00 below that you get PTCs, if it is 1.00 above, it's off the cliff for you as I'm sure you know. Here's the thing though. Suppose your total health insurance premiums are about $22,000. Now suppose your MAGI is $67,840 before you enter your 1095A. Even though your MAGI is over the 400% cliff mark now, it should not be after you do the calculation because whatever amount of the premiums is not subsidized, you can deduct on Schedule 1, Line 29. Let's suppose that you end up with $18,000 in PTCs. That would leave you with a $4,000 deduction on Line 29, which would bring your MAGI Down from $67,840 to $63,840, which is clearly away from the cliffs edge. Let me ask you this. When you go into form mode and look at Schedule 1, Line 29, what do you see after entering your 1095A? What ARE your total premiums? If you get PTCs, the amount of the PTC plus the amount left over that comes out of your pocket (Sch 1, Line 29) should equal the total amount of premiums for the year. And finally, did you make sure that you checked the box that says that you had a market place plan and it is connected to self-employed business when you entered your 1095A?