Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Here's how to unlock access to your 2017 return.   If you haven't already started one, you must start a 2018 Free Edition return in the SAME account as the locked 2017 return.  Here are all the steps.  You may have already done some of them.  I can't tell from your statement above.  If you already upgraded to PLUS, do not upgrade any farther, or you'll have problems.

• Log in to the account that has the 2017 return, and if you haven't already started one, then start a new 2018 return in Free Edition.
  • Answer some preliminary screens, and you will eventually come to the My Info section. At that point go to the left menu column and click on Upgrade.
  • It may ask you to fill out a screen in the Personal Info section first.  So do that.  You can either continue completing the rest of the My Info section, if you wish, and it will eventually ask you if you want to upgrade to PLUS.  Or after filling out the first screen of personal info, you can go back to the left menu column and click Upgrade, and this time it should let you upgrade.
  • NOTE:  If the PLUS option is grayed out, that means you are already in PLUS.  Do not upgrade any farther, or you'll have problems.
  • So once in PLUS, you need to pay for it.
  • While the return is still open, click in the left menu column on Tax Tools, then choose Print Center.
  • Then choose "Print/save/preview this year's return."  (Yes, you say "this year's" since you are paying for the 2018 return to unlock the prior returns.) You won't actually have to print the 2018 return.
  • On the next screen choose to "Pay now".
  • The next screen should be an Order Summary.  Review that, and if all is OK, click Continue.
  • It should then prompt you for payment by credit or debit card.  The screen only says "credit card", but it will take a debit card.
NOTE:  If it should offer you the option to "pay later" out of the Federal refund, that can't be used for this unlocking purpose.  You will need to pay now by credit/debit card.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.